The Little Book of Tourists in Iceland
$7.99 – $19.99
An invaluable resource for traveling in Iceland safely, responsibly, and in harmony with the locals.
QUALITY SOFTCOVER VERSION with a handy flap for marking your place. Bound spine, so very durable.
The ebook is available directly from us, and also from other ebook retailers. We would be much obliged if you select the first option (see “book type” below), as that means we won’t have to share our profits with others. We deliver the ebooks via BookFunnel, where you can select your preferred reading device. BookFunnel has awesome support if you run into any snags when downloading, or you can contact us for help.
Please note that we do not ship within Iceland. If you are in Iceland and would like to order this title, please do so here.
Iceland's unprecedented tourist boom brought wealth to the country, but also myriad issues and challenges. Through a series of short essays, this book provides a unique insight into the social and environmental impact that tourism had and is having on Iceland, and with wit and intelligence offers invaluable tips for touring safely, responsibly, and in harmony with the locals. A fascinating resource for anyone interested in contemporary Iceland, and an essential companion for all visitors to the country.
Among the topics addressed in this book:
• Reasons for the tourism boom in Iceland
• The impact of tourism on Iceland’s housing market, health care system, law enforcement, search and rescue operations, and more
• Klondike fever in the Icelandic tourism industry
• Touring Iceland and staying safe: the main dangers of travel in Iceland
• Out driving: essential things to keep in mind on Iceland’s roads
• What they think of us: complaints that tourists of different nationalities have about Iceland and Icelanders
• What we think of them: tourist behaviours that really, seriously irk the Icelanders
• Crazy stories of tourists in Iceland
• The environmental footprint: depletion of natural resources, pollution, and the physical impact of tourism
• Taxing tourists, or not - the endless debate
• How the locals really feel about the tourist invasion
• The truth about those Iceland myths: jailed bankers, refusal to bail out banks, believing in elves, incest app, promiscuity, disgusting food …
… and much, much more.
|Dimensions||18 × 13 × 2 cm|
Quality softcover, ebook